For 8 years of working as a wedding photographer, I realized that poor album layout can completely kill a great shooting. And I can’t see gorgeous photos in a photobook with misarable frames, decorative elements and pigeons. Therefore, I suggest you download free photo album templates and use them as you wish.
If you link to my article or share it with friends, it will inspire me to write even more useful posts. I spent 3 days on creating these templates for you, so any kind of gratitude will really warm my soul :)
- Basic rules on creating a photo album.
- How to use my templates.
- Template format description.
- Free photo album templates.
- A leather photo book example.
Basic rules of a photoalbum creation.
- Do not overload the turn. If you stick a lot of photos, the viewer's attention will be distracted. Exception is: details, similar reportage moments, pictures of one action from the same point.
- There is only one main photo on the turn! Can be one additional, or no at all. And than you can add some minor ones if needed.
- Diversity is our everything. If you have two portraits of one person in a turn, then it is better to combine one facial and one full height image.
- Less color - less problems. Try to limit the color scheme not only in the spread, but throughout the whole book. Tinting ideally helps to smooth out all the color differences.
- Do not be afraid of empty space. Don't aim to fill the entire spread with photos. Two shots are usually enough.
- Don't forget to leave space for cutting. Each lab has its own rules, in average it is up to 0,5 inches from the edge.
- Do not place important elements like faces, text, people on the fold and edges.
- One deserving photo per turn is also very beautiful. Do not be afraid of it. True style is not in the quantity.
- I implore you! Do not make frames or under layers, in unskillful hands it looks pathetic.
- Emphasis should be on photography. It's the point! Therefore, there is NO active background and strong decorative elements.
- Keep track of the chronology of events. Not a real timeline, but the one in your book. If the bride had one dress for the ceremony and one for the reception, it looks very strange when on the fifth page she is already in the second dress, and on the seventh - again in the first.
- Don't mix black-and-white photos and colors on the same turn.
- Well, the last. It's better to give less. Instead of creating the same boring pages, make fewer turns, but unique ones.
How you should use my photo album templates.
- Download your favorite template. All files are presented in the *.psd format. To open this type of files you need the Adobe Photoshop
- Open downloaded file. Drag the photo you want to put on a spread.
- In the layers tab, drag the photo to the desired group. This layer will be filled with white on the mask.
- In the layers window, select the photo and right-click option Create Clipping Mask. If needed, resize the photo and move it so that it occupies the entire area of the mask.
- Repeat the actions for other photos. Save the file for printing.
All templates were created for a 30x30cm (12×12 inches) photo book. I think this format is the most universal and convenient.
The trim line was not considered, since each lab has its own requirements. You need to resize the canvas using the command Image-> Canvas Size by yourself.
If you need templates for other formats, let me know in the comments. If there is a big demand, I will make and upload the templates for the most required format.
In all examples, black photographs are horizontal, gray photographs are vertical. But this is not a dogma. If the resolution of your images is big enough, you can put vertical ones instead of horizontal ones.
An example of a wedding photo book in a leather cover.
Most photo-books, to my great regret, do not fall into my hands and fly away to different corners of the planet directly to my customers. But here is one of the exclusions, when I could enjoy the pleasant texture of silk paper and softness of the leather binding.
I was searching for photo album template to organise my old vacation photos. I’m very pleased to find your photo album template which is very helpful with additional instruction on how to use it. I’ve never use photoshop before but your instruction make it easy for me.
It is also pleasant surprise to know that you live in Prague as the photos that I want to organise were my vacation photos that was taken in Prague 2016. I love the pictures in your portfolio, they are magical. Once again thank you for sharing.
so happy to get your feedback :) And I’m glad that you could use my templates even without knowing Photoshop. Such kind of comments inspire me to share more free stuff :)
Thank youuuuuuu so much for the templates.. Can you please make some more templates of this size and different size templates.. By the way your work is awesome.. Beautiful pictures and the way you captured is amazing..
Thank you very much! I will create more templates, definitely.
Beautiful photography. Thank you so much for the templates, working on my daughter’s album and she loves your look!
Happy to hear that! I’m sure she will get a great album :)
A very BIG THANK you. because I don’t know how to create a photo book template but with your template I archive my purpose and I will like to follow you and also learn from you. God bless and increase your creativity. please can you create a template of birthday of 50 years in 8 by 16 format :)
Thank you so much for the templates, It’s very useful for my own wedding album layout design!!!
Thanks for the feedback :)
Thank you so much for those templates, i didn’t think i would find so many and well made templates for free. I’ll use them to help my girlfriend who shoots weddings and christenings to create her albums instead of outsourcing them. Thank you again so very much!
Appreciate your feedback :)
Greeeeeat Templateeeeeet Nice…..Thank Youuuuuuuuuuuu…. Team…………
Happy to help :)
Bonsoir Jenny ! Je suis très content de votre partage et encore merci beaucoup pour les modèles. Je n’ai jamais eu à créer un album photo mais tes modèles ma tellement donné envie et courage d’essayer. Merci beaucoup pense à créer d’autres modèle
I don’t speak French :)
Thanks for these templated so easy to create an album for me and I need to create an album on 1(6×12 inches) photo book album can you give me ideas
Thank you very much for the do’s and don’t when creating the album. I put it in the hands of a professional and they send to me the draft but is so plane…….so I can bring adjustments as many as wish so I was searching for ideas and your are very welcome.
Thank you !
Glad to hear that my templates helped :)
Muchisimas grcias por las plantilas estan muy buenas
Thank you for the layouts; these are the best I’ve seen! Now I can organize my daughter’s photos that I have amassed since her birth and have been wanting to make a yearly album out of them.
Thanks a lot for the feedback! Appreciate it
Very big help & Thank you so much. I am in very busy schedule on these days so your templates will be more useful create more albums in short time.
Thank you once again and best regards !
Happy to help :)
Hi… very good information.. i learn a lot from you. i try to create costume album 38×24 inch… how to adjust size from your template? many thanks…
I’m afraid it’s not possible, I need to find time to create other sizes :)
Thank you so much for this. i really love those template and you saved me much stress. i love you… much love from Nigeria
You are welcome :)
Wow that was strange. I just wrote an really long comment but after
I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not writing
all that over again. Regardless, just wanted to say wonderful blog!
Thank you so much for this wonderful tips, and the nice template. I really love those template and you saved me much work. Did you ever think in a 40x30cm template. It was really nice to have one too. Best regards and greetings from Portugal.
Thanks for your feedback. Probably in the future I’ll create more templates for other sizes
thank you for this templates, however i can’t find the psd downloads..I’ve shared it also a couple times;)
Sorry for the troubles, I’ve redesigned the web-site, so the buttons were not visible.
Should work now :)
Grazie mille per aver condiviso i tuoi stupendi template. Sono davvero favolosi. Quanto tempo mi hai fatto risparmiare! Grazie, graie, grazie. Un saluto dall’Italia!
I’m happy that I saved your time :) Thanks for the feedback!